Monday, December 12, 2011

Being a foreigner in Japan is always a hoot!

I really apologize for constantly being behind. I don’t mean to do this, but it always happens. Blogging started off as a cathartic way to spend time writing about Japan, but now I struggle to actually sit down and write it.  Sad smile

Tuesday:

My nursery school classes were canceled on Tuesday, so I had to spend the whole morning at the BOE. Tuesday was an amazing, wonderful, incredible day. I had given up hope on getting to go home for the wedding of my friends David and Lucy in July. Their wedding it July 14th, and school doesn’t dismiss for the summer until July 20th. I asked my supervisor back in September after I first found out, but the Japanese don’t generally take vacation time during the work year. They wait until the very few weeks out of the year that school is on break. However, on Tuesday my supervisor called me to her desk and started asking about my vacation time in July. She wanted to know if I would shorten it. When I go home, I want it to be for more than a week, you know? After beating around the bush for a while, she finally told me that I could have that time off. I was so excited!!! Therefore, the official days of my American vacation this summer are July 13th-28th. Since Ian is in the wedding, he’s going home at the beginning of July, but we’ll return the same day. Get ready, people…we’re coming home! Hopefully, we’ll get to work it out so that my mom can fly back with us a stay a few weeks here. Her biggest qualm with visiting us in Japan was navigating airports and not being able to speak the language. If she flies back with us, that problem is eliminated.

Wednesday and Thursday were just two regular days. During our Thursday night class, we did a Christmas lesson. We taught the kids Christmas vocabulary and played a couple of games with it. After a short break, we spent the rest of the time making Christmas cards. They usually do things like that either really well or….. One girl had pop-ups and everything in her card. It was amazing. Some of the boys were drawing Pokemon next to Santa.

Another interesting thing that happened that night was that one kid’s tooth fell out.  We were having break time and eating coconut crackers and oranges when all of the sudden the kids called over Hiromi (the one adult in my class).  She works at a dentist’s office, and she looked at the kid’s mouth.  Luckily, it was just a baby tooth, so she gave him a tissue to stop the bleeding and on with class we went.  It was completely random.

Friday:

Friday at work was whatever, but Friday after work was busy, busy, busy! As soon as I got off of work, I had to race home so that we could go to the bank to withdraw money and to the BOE so I could pay a car bill. We had plans to go to Hitoyoshi that night since we had a party to attend. Our friends, Michael and Ana, are getting married on the 28th, and their bachelor/ette parties were on Friday. We drove to Hitoyoshi a little earlier to eat dinner and go to the hospital. Another one of our friends, Mary, has Crohn’s Disease and had a flare up last week. Ian, Justine, and I found the hospital in Hitoyoshi thanks to Google maps, but then we had no idea where to go.

We walked into the first door we found and got on the first elevator we saw. We knew she was in room 325. When we tried to hit the 3rd floor button, we realized that there wasn’t a 3rd floor button….just 1, 2, and R. We decided to go up to the 2nd floor and get off and find stairs to continue our journey. However, when the doors opened on the 2nd floor, it was completely dark. We realized that we weren’t where we needed to be. Luckily, there was a staircase beside the elevator. We tried to go up a floor, but that just led us to the roof. Oh, being a foreigner in Japan is always a hoot! Finally, we got to the right spot, found Mary’s room, and got to visit her for a while. She shared a room with three other people, and I kind of felt like we were being obnoxious foreigners. Visiting hours ended at 8PM, so we had to leave.

Next in line for the night was bachelor/ette parties. I’m not biased at all, but I believe that the bachelorette party definitely trumped the bachelor party. We all promised that what was said and what happened at the party stayed at the party, so sorry fellow blog readers, but I can’t share details. Winking smile I will say that we paired up and played the Newlywed Game, had fondue, and gabbed the night away. Melissa B. found party supplies, so everyone got to wear a tiara, and Ana had this hideous swan tulle thing that she wore. It was a good night. We didn’t get home until 2AM and didn’t go to sleep until 3AM because Ian had to call Murray and register for a class he’s taking next semester.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment