Monday, August 1, 2011

Day One

Today was the first day of Tokyo Orientation.  I've basically been out of the room and going to workshops, panels, and listening to different speakers since this morning.  It's been a looooooooooooooong day.  I've also met a LOT of people.  I couldn't tell you half of the people's names that I met, though.  lol.  It is surprising the amount of countries that are part of the JET program.  I've met people from New Zealand, Canada, Australia, Russia, UK, Jamaica, Fiji, and even a girl from Germany.  I ate lunch w/her, and she's actually going to my prefecture!  She said that she could speak German, English, Russian, Spanish, and Japanese fluently.  Wow!  I thought I was doing good w/English and my little knowledge of Spanish and German, lol.

Jet lag- beast of burden.  I went to bed around 8:30 last night.  I know that makes me an old person, but I really needed the sleep.  My roommate asked if I wanted to go out, and I was like, "heck no!"  It would be nice to go out and see Tokyo, but I would prefer to get over this jet lag ASAP.  I woke up this morning feeling nothing, and I thought, sweet!  No jet lag!  However, after lunch is when it hit.  My 2pm would be 12am in the USA, so that explains why I was dragging all afternoon.  :(  I'm used to experiencing jet lag w/Europe where you land in the morning, drag all day, sleep at night, and more or less are okay.  I think since it's such a severe time difference, it'll probably take a few days to adjust.

Japanese toilets- Wow.  Talk about sophistication.  Not lying, last night I wasn't sure how to flush the toilet. There's a panel on the left in which you can choose to have a warm mist spray your area for cleaning purposes, heat the seat, play music, or adjust the water pressure.  In addition, it makes a flushing sound whenever you first sit down for "modesty" purposes. It took me a minute to realize that the flusher wasn't on that panel.  Instead, it was on the right connected to the counter. 

English bubble- So far, I feel kinda bad about it, but I've been living in an English bubble.  I rationalize w/myself b/c I say that I'm basically going somewhere where hardly anyone speaks English, so I might as well soak up all the English I can get now.  :)  I went straight from the airport to the hotel up to my room yesterday, and today, I've mostly shuffled from one workshop to another in the hotel.  I first left the hotel on one of the breaks earlier.  One of the other Nashville JETs and I walked to a store close by b/c she wanted to get some snacks.  Being outside of my English bubble and on the streets of Tokyo made me realize that I'm probably going to have a bit of a breakdown when I get to Yunomae, lol.  It'll be weird to go from speaking English all the time to trying to convey the simplest point in broken English and gestures.  Life's an adventure!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment