Saturday, September 10, 2011

A down day

I'm a slacker, I know.  It's been several days since I've updated.  I would say that I've been busy, but that would be a lie.  Yes, I have been working full time, but I still have plenty of time at night to blog, but two things either happened: 1) Ian decided to be a computer hog, or 2) I decided to find other things to do than blog.  Anyway, I'll try to briefly catch you up on things that have happened since Wednesday.

Wednesday- Oh, Wednesday.  It was a very dark day for me.  I had to go to the elementary school.  I'm only at the elementary school one day a week, so I don't know the people or my role over there near as well as the junior high.  I knew it was going to be an awkward day.  I suppose some of it is my fault b/c the last time I was there, I should have asked for a schedule of classes, what time classes begin, and other important questions.  When I first got there, I was the only teacher in the teacher's room.  At the junior high school, someone teaches a certain subject.  The math teacher only teaches math, the science teacher only teaches science, etc so the maximum number of classes they'll have in one day is four, and then return to the teacher's room.  At the elementary school, a teacher will teach all subjects for an entire grade.  Therefore, it doesn't seem to be uncommon for there to be an empty teacher's room.  This can be very problematic for me since I have no idea what I'm doing there. 

I found the vice principal and asked for a schedule.  He kinda explained to me my schedule for the day.  I'm not sure if the vice principal wants to practice his English, is very interested in the foreigner, has a crush on me, or what, but he REALLY enjoys talking to me.  His English is.....interesting, and my Japanese is non-existent, so communication is special.  Here's an example of our conversations:
(Blah, blah blah=Japanese that I don't understand.)

VP: blah blah blah blah blah New York blah.
Me: Oh, New York!
VP: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah money.
Me: Money, yes.
VP: blah blah blah music blah blah blah.
Me: Music.  I like music.

Yeah, it's awkward.  Why can't everyone just speak Am-murr-i-can? lol.

Here's another thing that was weird about the day.  I had NO IDEA what I was doing in the classes.  I wasn't even sure who my English teachers were last week when I was there, so I wasn't sure who to speak with about lesson plans.  Gah.  In addition, last week, I asked if I should bring materials for a self-introduction (maps, my scrapbook, American money), but the answer was no.  I brought them just in case, and guess what was asked of me?  A self-introduction!  However, the classes were really fun.  I love elementary school students!  They're still really excited about English, and it's pretty much fun and games.  Junior high English is a lot more rigid in structure, and the students are MUCH more bored/and/or don't care about English.  Elementary school students are MUCH more fun!

After my classes, I thought I'd get to go back to the teacher's room and lesson plan, but I was invited to some sort of dance practice.  It was soooooooooo cute to see the kids try to dance, but have no idea what they're doing!  I kinda feel like that sometimes here.  I actually feel like a baby sometimes b/c I can't communicate to others, and I don't understand others.  I also was invited to a PE class.  Wow, the things that they did would never fly in the States.  Instead of our typical push-ups, sit-ups, and jumping jacks, it was more like watching a cheerleading practice.  They were doing lifts, making human pyramids, and all kinds of crazy things like that.  Then, they had to make pairs and do certain exercises that would never by allowed in the US b/c someone would say that it was "gay". 

Since I wasn't familiar with the schedule or routine in the elementary school, a couple of times students had to come to the teacher's room and basically be like, "Melissa-sensei is supposed to be in our class now."  Awesome.  It always boosts your self-esteem whenever a fifth grader knows more than you.  :( 

The final straw was lunch time.  I've been eating school lunch, and it's great!  On Wednesday, a kid had to come and get me and tell me it was lunch time and to come eat with his class.  Once I got up to the class, fortyish fifth grade students were patiently waiting on me to arrive.  Everyone had his or her nice tray of delicious looking food in front of them.  In Japan, you have to wait until everyone is present and ready before anyone begins eating lunch.  The student showed me where to sit.  It was the only place that didn't have a school lunch tray.  I suppose the homeroom teacher automatically realized something was up b/c he came over and said, "blah blah blah blah blah bento."  A bento is a little lunch that you bring or buy at the store.  I said, "school lunch?" and a look of horror ran across his face.  He told me, "one minute" before he raced off down the hallway.  Apparently, I was supposed to bring my lunch that day and had no idea.  I was mortified.  Forty fifth grade students had to wait on me as they had their lunch sitting right in front of them staring them in the face.  Pretty sure I made some enemies that day.  When lunch was over, I returned to the teacher's room.  Apparently, word had spread that the dumb foreigner didn't bring her lunch.  The vice principal told me, "blah blah blah blah lunch box blah blah."  I have never done this before, but I went into the rest room, locked the stall door, put the toilet seat down, and had a good cry.  :(  I really didn't want to show my face.  I sent Ian a text to have pity party materials ready when I got home. 

Needless to say, I'm not too excited to go back to the elementary school on Wednesday.  I feel like a big fat failure there.  :( 

Ian did have pity party materials ready, which was awesome.  He had gone to the super and bought a pizza, coke and fanta (so we could make spetzi!), and two chocolate bars.  It's true.  Chocolate really does help most situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment