Monday, September 5, 2011

I knew today was going to be a good day.

I knew today was going to be a good day when I woke up and could vividly remember my Vampire Diaries dream.  Make fun of me as you will, but it is a deliciously wonderful show.  A big shout out to Morgan Hillard for reminding me about it.  Since we talked about it yesterday, that's probably why I had the dream.  :)

Today was the first Labor Day that I've worked.  The US could learn a lot of things from Japan, but one thing Japan could learn from the US is not to work on Labor Day.  I made peanut butter cookies to take to work today.  They seemed to go over pretty well.  Everyone is amazed that I put peanut butter in cookies.....perhaps because peanut butter comes in tiny little jars, or that it's about $5 for that tiny jar, or even that peanut butter isn't really used that much over here. 

I had to use the office computer today.  I cannot wait to get and use my own laptop again.  Ugh.  The office computer has a Japanese keyboard.  It's sooooooooooooooo much different.  For example, I would try to type something, add in a contraction only to have it show some random hiragana.  The contraction button is actually the same button as 7.   Instead of the ampersand, the contraction is there.  It was all weird and turned around like that.  Also, say I wanted to do a simple task like copy and paste something.  Nope.  Can't.  Every direction is written in Japanese.  Say I want to use Word to type something.  I have no idea.  Not only is Word written in Japanese, but the programming is different.  Blarg.  Needless to say, I CANNOT WAIT FOR MY LAPTOP TO ARRIVE!!

I only had two classes today.  We played a review game for past participles.  I had made a scavenger hunt.  Students had to go around and ask the questions in the boxes, such as "Have you been to America?" "Have you taken the train to Hitoyoshi?"  "Have you heard of President Obama?"  "Have you seen Mt. Aso?" etc, and respond with "Yes, I have" or "No, I haven't".  If the person answered yes, then they signed your box.  It was a fun activity.  I got to play, so I was racing around the room asking questions along with the kids.  Kids are really shy here.  I had to basically pounce on some kids because I could tell that they were trying to avoid me like the plague.  lol.  The question "Have you been to America?" I put in there so that they would HAVE to ask me a question, but you would definitely be surprised at the number of students who would prefer to have an incomplete worksheet over ask Melissa-sensei a question.  After the scavenger hunt, my English teacher asked the students questions about me and my life in America as sort of a quiz to see how much they remembered.  One of the questions was "What state is Melissa-sensei from?"  No one EVER wants to be called on in Japan.  EVER.  No one really volunteers answers.  Every time my English teacher calls on someone, he or she wallows around in his or her seat before standing up, taking a few minutes to compose an answer, and responds.  I heard one of the girls in the front row mutter "Kentucky" under her breath.  I motioned for her to speak up, and she looked horrified and shook her head.  lol.  It's just so different that NO ONE will EVER volunteer answers!

This afternoon, I worked on my English board.  I have a special bulletin board beside the library for English related things.  My plan is to post things about each month on the board.  For example, this month is Labor Day and 9/11.  Next month will be Halloween.  November will be Thanksgiving, etc, etc.  I also have a "featured foreigner" section on my board.  A big shout out to Brittany Fiscus for giving me that idea!  In my "featured foreigner" section, I will display a special person in my life at home in the US.  This month is Ian.  Yes, I know he's not currently in the US, but I assumed that this will allow students to get to know the other mysterious foreigner in town a little better.  *Bonus: if you come and visit me in Yunomae, I will put your picture on the board and make you my featured foreigner for the month!!*  I also have a "Melissa's mail" section in which the students write me letters.  They don't have to be big or long or anything special, but if they want to write me a note, they place it in the giant envelope, and I will write back to them.  So far I have no letters.  :(  Hopefully the idea will catch on!

I'm on the prowl for post cards.  I promise to send them as soon as I can.  We really haven't been able to locate them anywhere.  I asked a few friends where to find post cards, and they said that they're in touristy spots......which explains why I can't find then in Yunomae.  :)  We're going to Hitoyoshi on Sunday, which is the closest largeish town to us.  It's about the same size as Paducah.  We're hoping to (maybe) find post cards there.  I promise that they're on the way.....eventually! 

No comments:

Post a Comment