Monday, May 28, 2012

Fun filled friends weekend

First and foremost, I want to make a shout out to my sister and brother-in-law.  Today is their one year anniversary!  Hurray!  Open-mouthed smile

This weekend was a fun filled friends weekend.  It started off with Friday afternoon.  (Is there any better feeling in life than walking out the doors of your workplace on Friday afternoon knowing that there are two glorious free days ahead of you?  Smile)  When I got home, Ian was gone.  He met David in Hitoyoshi so that they could buy kegs for the big party on Saturday night.  Therefore I was home alone and did what I do best….organized and cleaned!  I washed the horrendous stack of dishes, cleaned the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and living room, washed a load of clothes, swept and mopped the floors, made a rice cooker cake, and cooked dinner all before Ian got home.  I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I’m pretty amazing…… Winking smile

Saturday morning I made French toast for breakfast.  Hurray!  I don’t really make good French toast, but I wanted to try again, and that time was the charm.  It was fluffy, cinnamon-y, and delicious! Thumbs up  Since it was Ian’s sister, Bridget’s, graduation night, we called and talked to her, his dad, and aunt for a good long while.  After we got off of Skype with them, it was time for lunch.  I needed to run to the grocery to grab a few things, and Ian said that he’d have lunch ready by the time I got back.  Fair deal!  I was so surprised to find a delicious grilled panini sandwich waiting on me upon my return.  We haven’t had paninis the whole time we’ve been here, and I asked Ian what made him want to make them.  He said, “Well, you mentioned it the other day and how it was one food you missed, so I thought I’d make them for you.”  Red heart  Such a sweet heart!

Saturday night was the big “beer pong” party for all of the ALTs and some Japanese folks.  We usually have these things at Brian’s house because he has enough space and a good set-up for hosting.  Most of his BOE members and neighbors were there, and I’d say altogether there were about fifty people.  The BBQ grills were outside, manned by some of his neighbors, and drinks (including non-alcoholic beverages!) were inside.  Although only one game of beer pong was actually played, it didn’t stop everyone from having a good time.  Krista’s birthday was also the same day, so we had planned accordingly.  A couple of us brought cakes, and I had been specially asked to make another piñata.  Most of the Japanese party-goers had never broken a piñata and were a bit confused about the whole process.  Smile  After a few good whacks on it, though, they started to have A LOT of fun.  Oh, internationalization! 

What surprised me the most about the party was that the Japanese brought their kids with them.  That would be fine if it was just a typical party, but this was a DRINKING party, and the Japanese LOVE TO DRINK.  Most of the parents were WASTED as their kids watched Mommy and Daddy act a fool.  I really, really didn’t understand that.  One mom who was manning the grills had her kid strapped to her back in a papoose, and his little legs were dangling over the hot coals.  Not smart.  The same mom still had her kid strapped on her as she was swinging the pole to hit the piñata.  Also not smart.  Sad smile  When we left at 12:45, all of the kids were still up and running wild.  I couldn’t believe how late it was, yet the parents didn’t even care that their kids were still running around!  Surprised smile

Sunday made me really, really appreciate the friends that I have.  Ian and I Skyped most of our Paducah peeps in a group Skype chat as they were having a party at David’s house in Paducah.  We got to talk to Adam, Alison, and Daniel (who we haven’t seen since we left since they’re not on Skype!) in addition to the regulars of Kim, David, and Lucy.  Lucy gave me the countdown of exactly how many more days until I’ll be home.  Smile  (She knows this because I’ll arrive exactly one day before her wedding.  Insert girlish squeal here.)  It was incredibly great to catch up with the gang and make plans for our visit home this summer.

That afternoon, we went to Michael and Ana’s to join Rebeca in our second writing workshop.  Although Shara was sick and we only had four stories to workshop, we actually took MORE time to do those four because we just enjoyed each others company, sitting around and chit-chatting long after we had finished the stories.  It’s really a bummer because Rebeca, Michael, and Ana will all be leaving at the end of July.  We can only hope that their successors are as cool and fun to hang out with as them!!  Open-mouthed smile 

We wrapped up our friend-filled day with an evening trip to Baskin Robbins with Rebeca, Mary, and Justine.  The weather was balmy and sunny all day, a perfect day for eating ice cream!  We got there around 6:30, ordered our ice cream, and loitered in the parking lot for about two hours standing and talking, not wanting to admit that the weekend was over.  Winking smile  I think that’s part of the reason that we didn’t want to leave…we didn’t want to have to go back to work on Monday morning, and going home was accepting that fact.  Confused smile

Ian and I had quite a surprise when we got home.  I left the windows open when we left for Hitoyoshi around noon since the sun was shining.  It was a gorgeous day all day in Hitoyoshi with absolutely no hint of rain until we were on our way home and turned onto our street.  There’s a large pothole on the street, and it was full of water.  I then noticed that the sides of the road were still wet.  I said, “Uh-oh,” and as if Ian could read my mind asked, “Did you leave the windows open??”  Embarrassed smile  Our bed, which is right against the window, was soaking wet.  We had to hang up the blankets and extra futons that we put on it.  Oops…..

I have a few great stories to tell about my Monday, but I’ll save those for the next blog….

No comments:

Post a Comment