Friday, May 11, 2012

Random ramblings from Melissa

I realize that I am very behind in this blog, and I think part of it is because I get so far behind and then dread writing it, so I make up tasks for myself to do until I don’t have any time left to blog.  Sad smile  Instead of continuing to do that, I wanted to make some time to just write about how I’m feeling and things from this week.

Lately I’ve been really, really homesick.  Before the naysayers come out of the woodwork, I want to say that I don’t regret my decision to come here or my other decision to stay for a second year.  Yet, there’s not a day that goes by when I don’t think about coming home in July.  I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to it!  My life here in Japan is great, but I just want to be home around family and friends in a familiar setting where I don’t feel awkward and don’t have cultural misunderstandings.  For those of you that have been away from home for a while, you understand.  I thought that I was homesick when I spent three months in Spain, but three months is NOTHING now.  Even though this is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, it’s also one of the most rewarding.

The good thing about being here is that whenever you have a low moment, it’s usually followed by something amazing.  Tuesday was one of those low moments when I felt like nothing I did was good enough, totally inadequate, and in general down-and-out.  However, on Thursday I had several great connections with my students.  I ate lunch with the first graders at the JHS.  The table that I was placed at had four boys, two of which were real troublemakers last year, so I didn’t have high hopes for a good lunch, but they totally surprised me!  I made quiche for dinner on Wednesday night and brought the leftovers for lunch.  They were very curious about what Melissa-sensei was eating, so I let them each try a bite.  We were having a pretty good Japanese/English conversation, so I told them that my mother was coming to visit in August.  They were all surprised and excited and started shouting to their friends at other tables, telling them that Melissa-sensei’s mom was coming in August!  Winking smile

During break that day, I went to the library to study Japanese.  Usually I sit at a table by myself, and if students want to talk to me, they shout something across the room or approach me.  Instead, as soon as I walked in the room one of my third graders motioned for me to come over to her table.  Open-mouthed smile  This made me feel so super special!!!  I showed her my book and what I was studying.  It was difficult for her to read the romanji (Romanization of Japanese words), and she didn’t understand at first how I could be studying Japanese when it was printed in Roman letters.  Winking smile  We ended up having a pretty good conversation in Japanese/English and looked at a Guinness Book of World Records that the library had, grimacing together at the disgusting stuff and smiling at the cute things.

Thursday night was my night class, and I have adults.  Yay!  Now I will alternate weeks between adults and children.  The adults last night were really sweet.  All three of them are older—63, 65, and 71.  One lady is a breathing instructor and showed us just how flexible she was by standing on one leg and bringing the other straight up to her head and then doing the splits.  I told her that I’m twenty-five, and I can’t even bend that way!!  Smile  Although their English isn’t that great, they are a nice break from the kids, and I’ll be able to have more serious conversations instead of “Hello.  My name is Melissa.  I like strawberries.  I can play volleyball.  Nice to meet you.”  Winking smile 

It’s ups and downs here.  Just when I think I can’t take anymore, some kid makes me feel special, and I remember why I’m here!  Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment