Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Life without Ian

Several of you know that Ian’s back in the States, and I’m leaving next week for a little vacation back home before starting a new year.  Some of you have been asking what it’s like to be alone.  Well, I’ve got one word for you: quiet.  The first day was the hardest.  Even when Ian and I aren’t talking to one another or are in different rooms, it’s still comforting to know that someone is there.  Now I have nothing to go home to except silence.  It’s just weird.  I’m fine with it now, and I find things to kill the deafening silence: I’ll leave the computer or radio on even when I’m not listening to it. 

I miss Ian most when I realize that he’s having fun at home with our old friends, and I’m still here.  I also miss him when I want something done that I don’t want to do/am afraid of.  For example, I found a snail slithering along the floor in the kitchen the other day and had to pick it up and take it outside.  Icky!  Confused smile

I have gotten several things done around the house that I’ve been meaning to do for a while.  I cleaned out all of the kitchen cabinets, organized the closets, cleaned the inside of the car, weeded my flower bed, and cut the grass.  That last task I’m a little angry at Mr. Ian for not doing before he left.  He totally could have, and it really needed it!  I’m not completely finished with it yet because it takes a while to cut grass with a sickle…..especially when you have a jungle in your back yard and it’s thick and wet.  I’ve been super afraid of seeing a snake as I hack away at the grass, but so far so good.  I’ve only seen other little critters like slugs, snails, little centipedes, spiders, beetles, and worms.  I can deal with those things, but if something slithers out, it’s game over.  I don’t care how tall that grass gets, it’s NOT getting cut by me!!!!  The grass was really out of control and jungle-like, as you can see.  The first picture is a before shot, and the middle one is an after shot.  The last picture is a warning shot to the critters hiding in the tall grass: DON’T MESS WITH A WOMAN WHO HAS A SICKLE!!! Winking smile

  

I haven’t spent this much time away from Ian since I first came here, and we were separated for a week and a half, but things are much more different this time.  I know how to cook and what to eat now instead of playing the guessing game at the grocery.  I can go over to one of my friends’ houses to watch a movie or play games if I want to instead of sitting at home alone because I don’t know where anything is and I’m terrified of driving.  I can spend my evenings doing a variety of things instead of the same darn thing because that’s the only thing I know what to do.  Yes, it’s a lot easier this time.

Here I am whining, but I know that people do this (spend time away from their spouse) every day.  My friend, Jessica, spent six months away from her husband shortly after their wedding when he was deployed.  My sister, Amanda, will spend an entire year away from her husband starting in September when he is deployed to Djibouti.  I really commend spouses who are able to do that!  Ian and I talked about him possibly going back to Murray for a semester to finish his degree (not possible now), but now I know that it would just be too hard.  I’m not saying that it’s impossible, but it’s definitely something that I wouldn’t want to happen.  Sad smile

My friends have also been really nice and supportive.  I’m not some whiney chick crying my eyes out every day because Ian’s not here, (I save my tears for the Menkyo Center and failed license tests.  Winking smile) but they realize that I’m not used to living alone.  Both Melissa and Justine offered their houses and companionship anytime I get lonely.  Just the thought is too kind and makes me really, really appreciate the amazing friends that I have over here.

In other news, today is July 4th!  Woo-hoo!  I’ve never spent it outside the USA, but this is how it goes in a foreign country: a typical work day.  Nothing different.  Winking smile  The other day when I was talking to Grandmother, she asked what my 4th of July plans were.  I tried to tell her that Japan doesn’t celebrate it since it’s just an American holiday, but she didn’t quite understand.  (The same thing happened at Thanksgiving.  It’s difficult to remember that not ALL countries have the same holidays as us!)  I actually do have 4th of July plans.  A few of us are going over to Melissa’s tonight for a friendly BBQ.  I made a peach cobbler (below), and I think the plan is to eat as much American food as possible.  Perhaps we will even have a sparkler or two!  Open-mouthed smile  (For those of you back home in the States, sorry about the no fireworks policy due to the drought.  That stinks!)

Being over here and spending the last year in Japan has never made me prouder to be an American!  I understand that the USA isn’t always the best, but it’s pretty darn good.  After you’ve spent a significant amount of time away from your own culture and social norms, you realize what you miss and how happy you are to be who you are.  Open-mouthed smile I AM A PROUD AMERICAN. Open-mouthed smile

That’s all for now.  I wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July!  Please eat some BBQ and watermelon for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment