Sunday, July 29, 2012

My long journey home

Alrighty…….so I wrote this before I actually left Japan, but since I never even opened my laptop while at home, this is when I’m posting it…..

Friday July 13, 2012: Fukuoka, Japan: 3:58AM

Man, oh man have I already had an experience just getting this far!  Sad smile  My last blog discussed how the weather was really making it difficult for me to leave.  Indeed!  My supervisor got back to me after I left for work and told me that my bus had been canceled and that the IC was completely closed.  All buses and trains in the Hitoyoshi area were shut down indefinitely.  The only other ways out of our area are the 219—a road that I knew had been closed earlier in the day—and the 445—a dangerous one lane mountain road that probably wouldn’t be the best idea to take in the pouring rain.  I had no idea if either of these roads were open.  I felt horrible at that time….absolutely terrible.  It seemed like the situation was hopeless, and I honestly wondered if I could make it home.  I threw myself a little pity party, called Ian in tears, and finally got a grip on the situation. 

My supervisor called me back to say that if I could get to Yatsushiro (normally about forty-five minutes from Hitoyoshi), the Shinkansen (bullet train) was still running, and I could take that to Hakata station in Fukuoka.  She also let me cancel my eikaiwa class so that I could leave Yunomae earlier.  My dear sweet friend Melissa offered to drive me to Yatsushiro, so I drove to her house.  In my tiny little car without a working de-fogger, driving in the pouring rain at night is a risky situation.  Sad smile  My ultimate goal was just to keep it between the ditches. 

Melissa and I decided to take the 219 as far as we could and figure out the next step from there.  The 219 isn’t the safest road in normal conditions.  It’s carved out of the mountainside and follows the Kuma River to Yatsushiro, so on one side there is a terrifying, raging, swollen river, and on the side is sheer mountain rock.  Rain water flowed down from the mountain and straight across the 219.  There were a couple of deep pockets of water that we hit, and it honestly scared both of us.  Just outside of Kuma-mura, the 219 was closed, so we had to re-route through Ashikita.  This added another hour to our journey, and we weren’t exactly sure where we were going, so we followed the line of cars. 

When we reached the Yatsushiro train station, Melissa walked in with me to make sure that I could get my Shinkansen ticket.  She truly is a wonderful friend!  The ticket guy gave me more bad news…..since the flooding was so bad in Kumamoto, there were no direct routes to Hakata.  I could take the Shinkansen to Kumamoto and then re-route to Hakata from there.  Since this was pretty much my only option, this is what happened.  I waited another hour on the platform for the train to come, which gave me plenty of time to pray to God that I could make it back home.  The train ran late, and once I got to Kumamoto, I asked a guy where the train to Hakata was.  He literally walked me to the platform.  Smile  The Japanese are so kind!  On the platform a ton of people were waiting to board the train, but on the departure board flashed a message in both Japanese and English: OUT OF ORDER.  Disappointed smile

Several announcements were made over the loud speakers, but I could only pull bits and pieces of the message.  Apparently one of the messages was to switch platforms because everyone rushed toward the escalators.  When in Rome (or Japan…) do as the Romans (or Japanese…) do.  I followed the crowd, crossed to the next platform, and within fifteen minutes a train arrived bound for Hakata!  Smile 

I finally made it to Hakata shortly before 1AM and set up Camp America outside the Hakata bus and train terminal.  After having such a miserably soggy day in Kumamoto, I was surprised to see that it looked like it hadn’t rained at all in Fukuoka.  The sidewalks were dry, and no leftover rain droplets fell from the tree leaves blowing in the wind.  Surprised smile  Since the station closed, I went outside to a little park area by the front doors.  It seemed like other people had the same idea.  There were about a dozen benches in the park, and most of them were occupied throughout the night.

I passed the time by people watching, Skyping home to Mommy and Ian to let them know I made it okay, and writing this.  People watching was pretty awesome.  You see all kinds of people in the wee hours of the morning, let me tell you!  Winking smile  I never felt unsafe since there were two police officers standing guard at the entrance to the station all night long.  Had I needed them, them would have been there within seconds.  My favorite person to watch was the drunk guy.  He was asleep on the sidewalk by one of the benches, and occasionally one or both of the police officers would come over to wake him.  He’d stumble around, slump over in the park bench, and eventually make his way back to the ground.  Ha! Ha!  I also saw a creeper dude.  Sad smile  While I was on the phone with Mommy, he walked around the park area mumbling things.  I thought he was talking to me at first, so I asked him what he wanted.  When he didn’t say anything back to me, I realized he wasn’t talking to me.  Throughout the night, he would disappear and come back, rambling and circling the park.  He eventually made his way toward the statue near my park bench and ever so gradually moved himself closer to my bench.  Eventually, he sat down on the arm rest with his back turned to me and then slid into the seat next to me.  His body was leaning away from mine, and it looked like he was asleep.  I happened to look over at him…..only to notice that his pants were unzipped, and he was exposing himself to me!  Sad smile  I immediately gathered my things and left, retreating into the safety of the then opened station.  The nerve of him!!  Steaming mad  I wish I would have been smart about the situation.  I should have gone up to one of the police officers and said “Hintai!” which means, “Pervert!” and pointed at the guy.  They would have taken care of him!  However, I didn’t think about that until later…..Sad smile

No comments:

Post a Comment