Sunday, September 9, 2012

Four different kids, four different lives

I have two older sisters and a younger brother.  Despite all growing up together and having the same upbringing, it occurred to me the other day just how differently our lives and personal goals and dreams are.  I thought about how weird it is that even though we all were raised in the same house, we’ve all carved a different niche in life for ourselves.  Here’s the breakdown:

Christina is my oldest sister.  There’s a six year difference between her and myself.  Her niche in life is her family.  Out of all of my siblings, she’s the only one to have her own set of kids (which makes Mommy and Daddy VERY happy!  Winking smile)  After she started having kids, her goal was to have three by thirty and be done.  She successfully reached this goal, and with the recent addition of a puppy, her little Perkins family is complete!  She’s a wonderful mother, loving wife, and a great role model for the rest of us if and when we start our own families.

Amanda is my other sister.  There’s a four year difference between her and myself.  Her niche in life is to be the best at everything she does.  She’s definitely a perfectionist!  I’m giggling as I’m typing this, but it’s so true!  She constantly pushes herself to do everything bigger and better so that she can be the best.  She has a type A personality to the extreme.  Amanda was always at the top of her class, involved in tons of extra-curricular, is constantly lending hands to friends and family when they need it, speaks Spanish fluently, designs (and bakes!) amazingly accurate picture cakes, is an excellent dentist, and her new personal goal that she’s training to complete a triathlon.  With her, there is no limit to perfection!

……and then there’s me.  My niche in life is to travel the world.  I’m the traveler!  I guess I’m a little bit more of a free spirit than my siblings.  Four study abroad trips and one year in Japan later, I know that I’m no where close to being satisfied with settling down.  This is my niche in life……it should be no surprise. Winking smile  My goal in life is to see and do as much as possible before we “settle down.”  If I was given a million dollars to spend, a large chunk of that money would go to traveling.  Hawaii vacation?  Yes, please!  Seeing the fjords of Norway?  Yep!  Taking the trans-Siberian railroad across Russia?  Of course!  

The last sibling is Aaron.  There’s a two year difference between him and myself.  His goal in life is to work hard and play hard.  He’s really good at both.  He started a small lawn mowing service in his late teens for extra cash.  By the time he was twenty-three, he owned his own lawn mowing business and co-owned another one, and both were extremely successful.  The kid has absolutely no problem working from sun up to sun down.  His work ethic is amazing!  How many twenty-three year olds do you know who own their own businesses???  Only recently he sold his businesses since he got a government job.  His lawn mowing businesses were so successful that he was able to buy a house and plenty of toys to go along with it for playing purposes.  He has a four wheeler, trailer for it, sea doo, tons of tools for side projects, and regularly goes on vacations and weekend trips to enjoy his time off from work.

So here’s my thought: How do four children grow up in the same family under the same roof and all have such different lives?  Why is it that Christina chose family while Aaron chose the work hard/play hard life style?  Amanda and I are often confused as twins, but how is it that our lives are so completely different?  Interesting stuff to sit and ponder! Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment