Friday, September 14, 2012

The miracle of the fish and loaves…kind of….

Greetings loved ones.  Today’s blog is going to be about random ins and outs, so prepare for the ADD-ness.  Winking smile

First, I like rice cakes, and I’m proud to admit it.  Rice cakes here really aren’t anything like the rice cakes at home.  I think most rice cakes at home are a) labeled as “diet” food, and b) usually have a sweeter flavor.  Here they are a common snack food and are salty.  There are no sugary rice cakes in Japan.  Not only that, but they are about a third of the size of an American rice cake and come in two packs.  They are so common here that there is an entire aisle in my grocery store dedicated to just that….rice cakes.  If you would have asked me a year ago if I liked rice cakes, I would have given you an extremely blunt answer: NO.  I hated the salty, airy, ricey taste, but every time someone offered me one, I would smile, gladly accept, unwrap the packaging, and pretend that it was my favorite snack in the world.  I guess rice cakes are an acquired taste.  I now like them….love them even!  I enjoy the saltiness and airy crispness.  It’s weird how your tastes change, isn’t it?  Smile

On Thursday in class, Mr. Fujiwara wanted me to prepare a short game to play in class.  I prepared one of my favor go to games, the interview game, and tailored it to the lesson of the day.  I forgot how many kids were in that class, so I assumed while making copies.  I made thirty-five copies, thinking that would be enough.  Whenever I got to class, I did a quick head count.  I counted thirty-seven students.  Surprised smile  As I was passing out my papers, I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and just knew that I was going to look like a fool, have to run back downstairs, and make two more copies.  However, it turned into a fish and loaves of bread miracle!  I was so surprised when I had finished passing our worksheets and I had EXTRAS in my hand.  What the heck!?  That sickening feeling disappeared completely.  Silly me, I had miscounted.  There were actually only thirty-four students!  Embarrassed smile

The past two days, Ian has been working in the city.  He had to be in Kumamoto at 9:30AM on both days, meaning that he had to wake up before six and drive there.  Since I’m a light sleeper, I heard him get up and tossed and turned until he left.  Yesterday he had to work in the city until 11:30AM and then come back to Nishiki for his 2:30PM class before heading home at 4:30.  It was seriously a long day for him!  I think that’s the longest work day he’s had (outside of the house….he does a lot of work online) since we moved to Japan.  I could tell he was tired when he got home last night!

This weekend, there’s a HUGE typhoon coming.  I can’t understand everyone’s conversations, but if I had a nickel for each time I heard “typhoon” today in the teacher’s room, I’d be one rich girl!  From what I’ve seen, it’s going to be pretty much a direct hit with Kyushu.  No worries, though!  My mountains shall provide protection against the storm’s wrath.  The sirens (that sound like tornado sirens and freak me out every time!) might go off, but never fear.  The most we’ll get from the typhoon is a lot of wind and rain.  Happy weekend, everyone! Open-mouthed smile Open-mouthed smile Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment