Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It’s My Party, and I’ll Cry if I Want to…..

Sooooooo much to write about.  Sooooooo much to catch up on.  It seems like the last couple of weeks have been super busy for me both at school and home, so I’ve been putting blogging on the back burner.  Here goes…..

Last Saturday was my birthday.  I never really like to rub it in people’s faces that it’s my birthday because I feel like it makes people think that they have to get me things or something.  I’m just not a fan of those people who run around saying “It’s my birthday!” or “Only two weeks until my birthday!” as if by knowing that information I owe you something.

Anyway…I didn’t tell anyone at school.  I hung it on my English board, but the kids generally only look at the pictures, not the words.  Last Tuesday I went to my nursery school like normal and did my lesson.  I’m Facebook friends with one of the teachers in my class, and as I was packing up my flashcards and getting ready to tell the kids “See you!!!” and be assaulted by the kids rushing at me to high five me before I leave, the teacher said, “Wait a minute.”  He proceeded to tell the kids that my birthday was on Saturday, and they all sang happy birthday to me.  Awwwwwwwww!!  Not only that, but the kids had made a birthday necklace for me.  Too cute!  I was utterly happy when I left nursery school that day (not that I ever leave nursery school in a foul mood, though….)

photo (12)

I did milk my birthday a little bit when it comes to Ian.  “Ian, it’s my birthday week.  Can you get me a glass of water?”  “Ian, it’s my birthday week.  Will you take out the trash for me?”  “Ian, it’s my birthday week.  All I want to do tonight is cuddle and watch a movie.”  The biggest thing that I asked him to do was wash the dishes.  I said that he didn’t have to get me a present or anything if he would just wash the damn dishes.  I wash the dishes about 99.5% of the time, and I JUST DIDN’T WANT TO DURING MY BIRTHDAY WEEK.  Call me a princess or whatever, but I didn’t think it was too much to ask.  However, never in my life have I heard so much complaining and whining when it comes to dishes.  There was a huge stack of dishes leftover from the weekend that Ian started on Monday.  ………And by started I mean that he sorted and stacked them so that it looked like fewer than it actually was.  By Tuesday the dishes were overflowing out of the sink and onto our minimal counter space.  By Wednesday, we were out of eating utensils, cups, and plates, and he had even started putting dirty things in our bathroom sink.  On Wednesday night when I saw two roaches in the kitchen I. FLIPPED. OUT.  I got extremely angry that he had let the dishes get so bad that we had roaches.  Uncool.  After he washed all of the dishes, he told me:

1) I make too many messes,

2) I wasn’t allowed to cook anymore because I dirty up too many dishes,

3) we need to stop cooking so much because it makes a mess,

4) he was hot because the water was hot, and

5) his hands were dry because the soap had dried them out.

NEVER.  IN.  MY.  LIFE.  HAVE.  I.  HEARD.  SO. MUCH.  COMPLAINING.  He NEVER cleans up his messes, so he has no idea how big his messes are.  (People who know how Ian cooks will agree with me that he’s NOT a clean cook.)  As far as the hot water and dry hands go, I wanted to play him the world’s tiniest violin.  I have literally been sweating in our hot kitchen washing dishes since May.  Plus, I have man hands now because of all the dishes I wash.  (Japanese soap has ZERO moisturizer in it, so all of my natural oils are sucked out of my skin.)

I did tell some of my kids about my birthday on Monday, but only after they asked what I did over the weekend.  I was eating with a group of four 2nd grade boys at the JHS.  One of the boys stood up and announced to the class that my birthday had been on Saturday, so everyone started singing happy birthday.  I don’t even like that class, but it was the SWEETEST thing for them to do that!  They really can’t stand to be nice for too long because shortly after that one of the boys asked how old I was…200….400….? and called me an obasan (old woman).  Turds!

I’m going to end it here for the day, but I still have much to catch up on!

No comments:

Post a Comment