Thursday, November 1, 2012

3 AM phone call

It’s the saddest thing to have an American holiday pass by and not celebrate it.  It definitely reiterates the point that I’m not in Kansas anymore, Toto.  While we did throw the Halloween party for the kids a few weekends ago, we really didn’t celebrate the actual day of Halloween.

Both this year and last year the annual Kuma-gun English speech competition was held that day.  I had two students from each class memorize a dialogue and attend the competition.  It pretty much took up my whole day.  I had two class periods in the morning, and then after that I headed to Asagiri with my JTE and six kids.  We took the train, and while we were waiting for the next train, we ate our lunches.  I knew that we’d have to eat on the run, so I didn’t bring anything that required a microwave that day.  Instead, I brought a peanut butter and honey sandwich with some carrot slices on the side.  As I ate my carrot slices, I noticed them staring at me in a what-is-the-foreigner-doing way.  They started giggling.  Do you want to know why?  They thought it was odd that I was eating carrots—plain, cut up, without anything on them carrots.  To me this made no sense.  They’ll eat fish—bones, eyes, and all—or something disgusting like natto (fermented soy beans that have the consistency of boogery snot), but it’s weird for ME to eat CARROTS.  Yes, this makes sense……..  Confused smile

One of my first grade girls who was in the competition really likes me.  I’m not sure why because I haven’t gone out of my way to be her friend or anything.  However, she really likes English and is actually very good at it.  She sat beside me on the train and when no one else was around asked me if I would be home on Sunday (in English!).  I said yes, and she said, “Halloween cake…….for you…..I make….bring……your house…..Sunday.”  Awwwwwww!!!  Open-mouthed smile Open-mouthed smile  She’s absolutely the sweetest!!

It was interesting to see the students from around Kuma-gun and their language abilities.  The three junior high schools in Hitoyoshi all placed, Mizukami raked in a few awards, and Taragi and Asagiri each pulled one placement.  While none of my kids placed, I was still proud of them.  It takes a lot of courage to recite a WHOLE speech in a foreign language in front of a crowd.  Yes, there were other kids who were better than them, but still….they got up and tried!!  After my third grade girls went, I went up to tell them that they did a great job, but both girls shook their heads and resigned that no, they didn’t do well at all.  Sad smile  Poor kids! 

That night we attempted to do something fun for Halloween, but it was just so-so.  I didn’t get home until 5:20 since we had to take the train back from the speech competition.  Ian had to quickly call his boss, and then we were off to Hitoyoshi to meet up with David and Mollee for dinner.  Oh how I wish that I could tell you that we dressed in costumes, went to a haunted house, or ate pumpkin-flavored treats, but the fact of the matter is that there was absolutely nothing special or noteworthy about our dinner.  It was just a regular run-of-the-mill dinner…….nothing significant or out-of-the-ordinary about it.  Sad smile

A thought occurred to me yesterday.  While at work, I am aware of my co-workers talking around me.  However, I don’t understand most of it, so I tune it out.  It’s very easy to do, and at one point or another in all of our lives, we’ve done just that—tuned something out.  Maybe it was the noisy neighbor who lived downstairs, the annoying little brother, or even your parents trying to give you advice….  Regardless, we’ve all been there and done that.  However, it occurred to me that what if I’m so good at tuning out co-workers that when I go back home, I forget to listen to people?  What happens then?  Confused smile  I know that it’s a silly thought, but what happens at that point in time?  Is that a possibility? 

Today and tomorrow, Ian is in the city working at his two day class.  It’s an intensive all day English training class for factory workers.  The company pays for his gas, tolls, hotel room, and food while there.  He really can’t pass up this deal!!  He had to be there at 7AM this morning (the city is at least a good two hour drive from us).  We both knew that he was going to wake up EARLY in the morning and drive in.  While I kept encouraging him to not wait until the last minute to pack, when I crawled into bed at 11:45 last night, he had yet to pack.  I’m a very light sleeper, so I didn’t think that I would fall asleep until he quieted down for the night.  However, I was wrong!  The next thing I knew, I opened my eyes, and the entire house was dark.  I rolled over but didn’t feel Ian in bed.  That’s VERY strange considering we share a TWIN size bed.  I checked my phone…..3:08 AM.  Since the paneling separating our bedroom/office from our living room was closed, I assumed that he had pulled the futon out of the closet and was sleeping in there as to not wake me when he left early in the morning.  I grabbed my blanket and pillow to join him, pulled back the paneling, and was in complete shock to see a completely EMPTY room.  No Ian.  Surprised smile  At this time, I was WIDE AWAKE and slightly thrown into a panic.  I rushed to the hallway hook where we keep our keys, and they were gone.  Immediately, I went back to my phone and called Ian.  The first call rang once and went to voice mail.  He answered on the second call as if me calling him at 3 AM was the norm.  “Hey sweetie.  What’s up?”

Me: “WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU?!?!!?”

Ian: “Um….I’m on the way to the city.”

Me: “HUH???”

Ian: “I couldn’t sleep, so I thought I’d drive in and get a quick nap before I’m supposed to be there.”

Me: “You didn’t think to tell me????”

Ian: “………I did.”

Me: “………you……..did?”

Apparently before he left he told me that he was leaving.  I even acknowledged him, and he told me again to make sure that I wasn’t sleep talking and actually knew what I was saying.  Surprised smile  I don’t recall this conversation.  I don’t even recall an inkling of this conversation.  (You know how sometimes you just have a FEELING that you talked to someone even if you can’t remember the exact words?  Yeah…..I didn’t even have that!)  I don’t know what I said to him, but I’m guessing it was enough to make him believe that I was awake.

He said that he even left a note in the hallway, but of course since it was 3 AM, I couldn’t see any note in the darkness.  So that happened…….

This morning whenever I for reals woke up, it was COLD!  My bed felt like a little cocoon, and I didn’t want to forego its warmth to get up and grab my breakfast.  UUUUGGGGGHHHH!  So winter has finally shown its big stupid head….  As I was getting ready for work, I noticed that Ian packed as if he had waited until the last minute to pack.  Instead of packing his own deodorant, he took mine.  (That’s right, Japan.  I’m not wearing deodorant today!  World, watch out! Winking smile )  Even though we have an overnight bag with the amenities like toothbrush, toothpaste, Q-tips, etc already packed, Ian took the one toothbrush and toothpaste in our cabinet.  I wasn’t about to go to work without fresh breath AND stinky armpits, so I dug around and found another toothpaste in our cabinet.  On my bike ride to work, I was wishing for a pair of gloves.  I’m soooooooo not ready for this winter thing!  All day it has been chilly, but for some reason the window are still open.  Go figure.

I have less than an hour left in my work week, and what are my plans for the weekend?  None.  Tonight, I’m going home, cleaning up, making pumpkin soup, and then curling up in bed with said soup and a cup of milk tea to enjoy the rest of the night reading and/or watching TV.  It’s going to be a good night.  Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment