Friday, November 16, 2012

And so the Reeds make a decision…..

I do believe that a decision about our future has been reached.  After flip-flopping back and forth for the past two months about our future and what we were going to do about next year, we (finally) have come to a decision.  After the dread of having to make a decision by December 1st, we’ve reached it.  After weighing the pros and cons time and time again without coming to a clear conclusion about what to do, we’ve finally found an answer.  After asking advice from friends and family and having some people encouraging us to stay and enjoy our time and others giving us pouty faces when we say that we’re staying, we have decided.

Drum roll please……………

We’re coming home! 

It hasn’t been an easy decision, believe me!  I’m okay with the decision right now, but I know that when my time is running thin, I might regret this decision and just think why didn’t I choose to stay for another year?!  It will be difficult to say goodbye to friends who I will probably never see again, to leave the best job I’ll ever have, to pack up our tiny house, to drive that one last time through town, get on the expressway, to the airport, and leave my beloved Kumamoto behind. Crying face No, it won’t be easy! 

However, we’re coming home!  In nine months, I’ll be back in Paducah where most of my friends and family are, showing them pictures, and probably annoying them with more tales from Japan than they can handle.  Yay!  Open-mouthed smile

So……. what’s the plan for after we come back?  I want to get my teaching certification.  I have no doubt about that now.  In order to do that, I’ve been looking into the Teach for America program.  TFA takes candidates to inner city or lower income schools and allows them to teach there while they work on their certification.  There are dozens of places across the States—Sec-Tac, Los Angeles, Colorado, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Greater New Orleans area, South Florida, Mississippi Delta, Appalachia, NYC, DC…..the list goes on and on.  I could basically point to any state on the map, and that state has at least one TFA program in its boundaries.  I feel like this program would be the best one long term.  Unfortunately, I won’t be able to start this program until the FOLLOWING August due to the fact that I’ll miss the summer training program, and if you are unable to attend that for whatever reason, you can’t teach.

Another idea that we’ve discussed is applying to a teaching program in South Korea.  I know, I know, I know!  I understand that I JUST said that we’re coming home, but we would be home for six months until February when contracts begin.  It would basically be doing the same thing that I’m doing here….just in a new and different place.  We could stay there for up to another two years.  One last little adventure before finally hanging up our traveling shoes, you know?  Plus the TEFL degree that I’ve worked hard on would actually be put to use if we went to Korea!

Before I return to the States, I plan on applying to both programs, and hopefully that will decide our future.  However, for now….those of you who were championing for us to come home, enjoy the fact that come August, we’ll be seeing your pretty faces!  Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment